Day 17
If I could switch lives for a day with anyone, I don't think I would. Sure, there are things I absolutely wish I could do, like sing on Broadway, but I don't think I would want to be one of those people without doing the work behind it. Many people want to switch places with sports stars, but let me tell you, the work it takes to get there is really hard. A lot harder than people realize. The life of a sports star is not all that its cracked up to be. For example, in order to work towards the Olympics for gymnastics, you have to be 100% dedicated. You have to be home schooled giving up most if not all of your social life, its a possibility you have to move out of state, if not out of the country, you have to ask your family to make sacrifices for you, you have to be at the gym at least 25 hours a week if not more, you have to travel a lot, you have to put up a huge fight in order to not compete on Sundays sometimes, its tough. It takes a lot of work, and people at that level are not well rounded because you have to spend so much time in one thing. You are basically an expert at one thing and one thing only. Since I have "retired" from gymnastics, so many doors have opened up to me. I learned to do things I never thought I could because sure, I wasn't doing double backs off the bars or layouts on the beam anymore, but I had time to become well rounded and try new things. I started learning to sing, and I transferred some of my gymnastics into dancing, I learned how to act, I learned to cook, I could help around the house more and I wasn't always so tired. I actually learned what the term "free time" is. I think when people want to switch places with extraordinary sports stars, or actors, ect., they don't realize the sacrifice behind it. They don't realize to be at that level, you have to give up so much more than I think it's worth. Its a hard choice to make. I wouldn't trade all those years in the gym, they taught me some important things and skills, but I wouldn't trade my life like it is right now for anything in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment