Sunday, January 22, 2012

Called to Serve Him

    Elder Braiden R. Shumway was set apart as a full time missionary to serve in the Villahermosa, Mexico mission Tuesday night.We dropped him off at the MTC on Wednesday. He hasn't even been gone a week and I'm already checking my e-mail 9 times a day to see if he's written me back yet. It's getting kind of ridiculous. On the bright side, thanks to my wonderful, wonderful friends, I did happen to track down not just one, but two Oklahoma quarters in order to complete our collection before he left. I'm sending him one in the mail this week with a death threat just in case he were to lose said quarter.On the other bright side, I stole his mattress--which is waaaay more comfy than mine--the very night he left. It makes my bed super tall, which kind of makes me feel like "Princess and the Pea." I kind of wanted to ask my mom if we had any frozen peas to put under said mattress, but I had two fears. A)What if I can't feel it and it destroys all my childhood hopes and dreams and I end up in a blubbering, mascara running mess, and B) What if my mom didn't get that I was kidding...mostly.
     Even with all these new perks I am slowly discovering with a certain older brothers absence, I still miss my best friend like crazy! I was really, really depressed at the beginning of this week until a few things happened. One of Braidens friends who I really admire told me this, "He is doing something amazing, and the letters they send home are the best things in the world. It gets easier, I promise." I can't wait to start getting those letters and to hear about all of the amazing things he is doing! I also heard a quote that said, "Missionaries leave their families for two years so others can have their families for eternity." The final thing that really put my mind at peace was a personal confirmation from my Heavenly Father that he is doing the right thing. He is going to mexico so that other girls can be best friends with their brothers for eternity, too. I am so grateful to have an older brother who is willing to put aside everything for two years to go out and serve the Lord.
     I have a testimony of this gospel. I know Heavenly Father loves each and every one of his children. I know that he loves me personally. I know he knows my name, my trials, and my deepest desires. I know he does everything he can to break through the distractions of the world each day to give me a "spiritual hug" and whisper, "Allie, I love you. Be a good girl and do the great things today that I know you can do." I am so grateful for the love and blessings he gives me each day. I am so grateful for the patience he has for me. I know Jesus Christ is my savior, and I love him so much! I know he loves me too. I know he suffered through the atonement for me personally because he loves me that much. I know I can always rely on him. I know he wants me to return to him too. I can't wait for the day that I get to wrap my arms around him and thank him for all that he has done for me. I hope with all my heart that by the end of this life, I will be worthy to fall at his feat and speak to him personally. I love this Gospel with all of my heart. It is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love it when I am so full of the spirit that I just can't contain it anymore and it comes out in the form tears, words, or I will admit-occasionally the giggles. The gospel makes me so happy, and I know it is true.

1 comment:

  1. I'm rite there with ya hon! Losing older brothers/ bff's is basically like death! Way to have a positive attitude about it tho! I love you! Hang in there sweetie!

    ReplyDelete